PDA

View Full Version : Scanner issues

Reilly
08-20-2003, 01:08 AM
My scanner's been giving me trouble by putting all these little dotted vertical lines on the images I scan in.

Check out the images on my site to see what I'm talking about. It's especially visible on the sketches in the monochrome section.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? If it has is there anything I can do about it? I've tried cleaning it, but that didn't seem to do the trick.

Thanks.

--Reilly

cyspawn23
08-20-2003, 02:07 AM
try scannin em in a 2bit color format (black and white) if it alows u,tell me if it helps out any;cap;

Reilly
08-20-2003, 04:07 PM
Yeah actually, you're right.
I did that this morning and it seems like it's only picking up the dots when I scan in grayscale.
I still wonder if there's a way to fix it though. . .
Anyway, thanks a lot Cyspawn.

--Reilly

cyspawn23
08-20-2003, 04:22 PM
::::::dances:::::::

I got one right!:p

glad to help;cap;

Baloodoo Bill
08-20-2003, 05:22 PM
While you may want your image to wind up as Bitmap, you don't ever want to scan that way as it's the most inferior method of digital scanning available. And digital is grossly inferior to analog to begin with.

The vertical stripes such as those on "dwarfrules" are easily removed with the "Levels" filter in Photoshop. Levels and Unsharp Masking are also the best way to bitmap a grayscale scan, followed by the Threshold command.

I don't know the cause of the stripes but, I'd guess dust on the scanning rod under the glass. You may want to investigate the cost/possibility of a good cleaning.

Reilly
08-21-2003, 04:03 PM
Scanning in as a bitmap actiually isn't that bad, Baloodoo (it's the way that Marvel does it). The kye is to scan it at a much higher resolution than you need it, convert it to greyscale, and reduce it to the right size. It works a lot better for ink drawings than pencil drawings though.
And I can't get rid of the dots useing the levels function, at least not without losing parts of the drawing.
I hadn't thought about cleaning inside the machine. If I get some time I may give that a shot.

--Reilly

Dash Martin
08-21-2003, 05:17 PM
Take some Windex for Electronics to that component. If it's just dirt, that'll fix it. Otherwise, that part will need replacing if you really want to scan without those lines showing up. Also, I agree about scanning it in as a hi-res bitmap as opposed to the otherway. Converting inks to Bitmap from Grayscale in PS always seems to lose the finer details in the process. I guess it's ok for simple artwork...but not for the complex stuff.