PDA

View Full Version : Midnight creeper, all day sleeper

Inkthinker
08-08-2003, 06:52 AM
I despise these involountary bouts of creative madness that strike at 4AM as you're desperatly trying to fall asleep. There's nothing for it but to flip on the light, roll over and grab the sketchbook near the bed and start doodling so you don't forget this idea that seems SO good right now. Maybe if you're lucky it'll still look good in the light of day.

But I tell ya, it plays havoc with my circadian rythms. It's very hard to be at the job on time when you went to sleep four hours late.

We did a poll on this recently, didn't we... and it turned out that most of us said inspiration strikes at 1AM or somesuch? I think I read somewhere that there is a scientific basis for this, that the subconcious mind is breaking in and providing ideas that the concious mind is usually too busy to acknowledge. Or something like that anyhow...

BUT, I did have a productive little midnight session. I suppose it's not all bad, I added something like 5 new pages of sketches into the book, and there's really no mulligans in the pack...

kuje
08-08-2003, 11:07 AM
I think it's worth it. This happens to me all the time, and I've just adapted to sleeping(or not sleeping), according to my schedule. Now I'm awake almost every night.

jal
08-08-2003, 11:43 AM
that kind of energy 24/7 would be insane

Blairdesigns
08-15-2003, 02:07 AM
This ALWAYS happens to me... and it messes me up. I hate it, but I love it at the same time. I remember a week where this happened just about every night, and I ended up with like 27 new sketches in my sketchbook. Creativity is a biotch.

Chromo48
08-17-2003, 08:11 AM
I don't know if you're still in school or not, but get a job where you work nights. If you can budget yourself enough (and you don't have a family to support), you could even work part time.

I stay up until 8 or 9 am drawing then I go to sleep until about 3, at which time I've got about an hour or two before work.

Phil Clark
08-17-2003, 10:19 AM
I usually fall asleep before 1:00, so that may explain my lack. ;) J/K.

Anyway, I have found that if I actually treat my art like a job, get fully dressed (shirt, pants and shoes not just sitting at the board in my underwear) and do it on a regular (or as close to regular as possible) schedule, I can produce far better than just grabbing the sketchbook and sitting on the couch to draw. My mind just manages to kick in for some reason if I do that. Might not work for everyone, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.

SenorSwanky
08-17-2003, 10:01 PM
Yes, discipline always requires psychological tricks.