PDA

View Full Version : Sending Hi-Res Files via E-Mail

BW Fan
08-07-2003, 09:38 PM
Hi, My name is Ed and I am a dumbass. (Spoken in the 12 step AA voice)

I have been trying and trying to send a file to a member here at PJ who was kind enough to ask to color it. Every time I try to send it (even a Zip file), I get a return message telling me that the file is too large for the destination.

Anyway, can one of you kind folks instruct me as to the best way to send the Hi-Res file to him using e-mail? I would be forever in your debt. Okay, maybe not forever in your debt but I would very much appreciate it ;)

Thanks!

SenorSwanky
08-07-2003, 10:07 PM
Actually, the best way would probably be to load it on a free website that has no other files on it (just set up a one-time thing at Geocities or something). Then give the file URL to the colorist and he can download it there.
If this colorist has a Yahoo/MSN/Hotmail/etc. e-mail, no single message over 1 MB can be received. It sucks. Hi-res files are waaaaayyyyy over that.

Baloodoo Bill
08-08-2003, 05:47 PM
Could you define "Hi ReS"? Unless you're talking twice up @ 600 dpi, I'd think the file would be considerably smaller than the 1MB limits of YAHOO et al. I've got assembled double page spreads (11x17@400dpi) that come in at that size. For single pages, they average 450-550 k.

Are you trying to send a Grayscale file?

BW Fan
08-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Uhm, I am a computer feeb. When I originally scanned it in, I saved it as a jpeg. It is 4.86mb. I tried to send it as a Zip file but that wouldn't work either. :(

Baloodoo Bill
08-09-2003, 04:36 AM
Your scanner has probably given you a grayscale or RGB image. What you want for coloring is a Bitmap (black and white) image.

If you have an image editing program, such as Photoshop, use Levels or Threshold to sharpen the grayscale image to straight black and white, and then Convert to Bitmap.

If you don't have an image editing program you'll have to scan in Bitmap mode from the beginning.

Note that JPEGS are a lossy format. Every save loses information, like a Xerox of a Xeroxed Xerox. Save as TIFF if you can, it's cross-platform and cross-program compatible.

BW Fan
08-09-2003, 09:04 AM
Baloodoo Bill - Thanks for your advice and help! It was saved in RGB as a grayscale. I used the Threshold to sharpen it and then converted it to a bitmap. Then I saved it as a Tiff file. This brought it down to 2.00MB. Am I still doing something wrong? It still seems like it might be too large of a file. I'm gonna try to e-mail it again and we'll see what happens.

SenorSwanky
08-09-2003, 12:36 PM
TIFFs and Bitmaps are huge files. But you can save it as an LZW-compressed TIFF, I believe.

Phil Clark
08-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Save it as a jpg file with the settings set to Large File/High Quality. That will make it MUCH smaller than an LZW tiff file, and as long as you don't open and resave the same JPG file several times, you should be ok on quality.

Robin Riggs
08-09-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Phil Clark
Save it as a jpg file with the settings set to Large File/High Quality. That will make it MUCH smaller than an LZW tiff file, and as long as you don't open and resave the same JPG file several times, you should be ok on quality.

No it won't, Phil. You can't save a bitmap as a jpeg. You'd have to convert to grayscale first. An 11x17 400dpi scan of a random Thor page from my files save at 5.7mb for a high quality jpeg and the same page as a bitmap tiff with lzw compression is 856k. If bitmaps are what you want to send the tiff format with lzw compression is the way to go. It's the standard for work for publication.

BW Fan
08-09-2003, 07:30 PM
Well, the 2MB file didn't work either.

Senor Swanky - I tried your suggestion. It appears that you and Robin Riggs (Hello, Robin!) were probably correct. I re-scanned it and saved it as a LZW Tiff file and it appears to have been like 456kb. Hopefully, this should work! Thanks so much to all for your help!

Robin - Is this the way you would suggest sending the inked files for coloring or is there a better way that we haven't discussed yet? Thanks!

Ed!

Baloodoo Bill
08-09-2003, 08:15 PM
D'oh. I forgot the LZW compression. Bad me, bad.

Robin nails it in his above post. Unless your buddy lives in an internet free enviornment (in which case you'd use some sort of removable media) this is the way to go.

BW Fan
08-10-2003, 06:41 PM
Many thanks to all who tried to help this poor computer feeb! Huzzah! It finally got to him. The LZW compression seems to have done the trick! Thanks again folks, I really appreciate your timely and helpful responses!

Ed! ;cap;

Robin Riggs
08-10-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by BW Fan
Robin - Is this the way you would suggest sending the inked files for coloring or is there a better way that we haven't discussed yet? Thanks!

Yes, that's the best way to handle line art for colour. It's very easy for the colourist to convert it from line to their format of choice for colouring. They'll probably be saving it as a tiff when they're done with it too but it'll be a considerably larger file by then so it'd have to be uploaded to an ftp server or burned on a cd to deliver it.

BW Fan
08-11-2003, 09:19 PM
Great! Thanks again for your time, Robin!

-Ed!- :D