PDA

View Full Version : correct way to hold a quill pen

dillopod
08-05-2003, 07:48 PM
Which is the correct way to hold a quill pen? With the hollow, resovoir side down or up?

Inkthinker
08-05-2003, 07:57 PM
I always held 'em with the reservior/cupped side on the bottom, at a 45-degree angle (more or less) from the page.

Robin or Loston would be the best person to ask though, they use 'em on a regular basis.

Dash Martin
08-05-2003, 08:43 PM
Reservior on top...hollow part facing the paper. You want the end to spread as you apply pressure to make the lines wider where you need it. You can flip it over if you need to make some really thin lines of the same width though. So long as your paper is sturdy enough to handle it.

Baloodoo Bill
08-05-2003, 09:49 PM
Never been a quill fan but, I've seen a number of pros using them, always reservoir/hollow down. What blew my mind was how they'd routinely turn the pen and, reservoir up and holding it roughly parallel to the page, press down causing the tines to cross over one another like an "X". I asked, "What the @#$% are you doing?" The response was that inking forces the tines apart and, after time, they no longer come together, leaving a gap between them. Crossing the tines closes the gap.

Note that this only works with the flexible types like the Hunt's 103 Mapping Point or 102 Crow's Quill and not with stiffer pens such as an Esterbrook 048 Falconpen.

shannyeight
08-11-2003, 11:36 PM
i use the quills with the reservoir down, as it gives me better control over the lines and the overall...what trips me out is that i've seen some people use it, but pull away from their body...i do the opposite...i dunno...i guess there is no set way to use a quill, really...