PDA

View Full Version : Yet another newbie Photoshop Q

Karl!
08-04-2003, 02:42 PM
So, if I've scanned an image, but would like to substitute the paper white bgrnd to something different, for example, "parchment texture", like on Joe Mads Exarch designs (http://www.exarchonline.com/screens/BladeMaster.jpg), mhow would I go about doing that?

xadrian
08-04-2003, 03:03 PM
You're basically going to lift the line art out into it's own layer, then on the background layer fill it in with whatever pattern you want.

1) Open your image.

2) In your Layers and Channel selections, go into Channels and highlight Blue (if you are in RGB mode) and drag that into New Channel. Should have Alpha or Blue Copy.

3) Go back to Layers and Select All (CTRL+A) and then hit delete. Doesn't matter what background color is, but for kicks make sure it's white. You can either delete the image or paint over it.

4) Do CTRL+A again, open up your Pain Bucket and select Fill>Pattern. You can switch the pattern to whatever you want. I picked Artistic then chose a canvas/burlap looking pattern.

5) Next go up to Select and chose Load Selection. In the pop box pick Blue Copy (or Alpha) from the drop down. You should see your marching ants in the shape of your image.

5) Go back to your Paint Bucket, make sure to select Fill now, and chose black as the color and fill in the lines. You now have your line image on a different paper style.

Going forward with this, you can also create another channel, call it colors, to color the work without jacking up the lines or the canvas.

Hope that helps.

Karl!
08-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Thanks man, that should help. And while we're on the subject, how about coloring lineart? As I understand it, it is a pain to do it in layers, but easy to do it in channels in some way?

Inkthinker
08-04-2003, 04:24 PM
Baladoo Bill discusses using Channels to define the line art in a Photoshop file in this thread here (http://www.penciljack.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26956&perpage=10&pagenumber=2), but I'm not sure if I understand his technique. I also haven't tried it out yet, so it may make more sense once I do.

Baloodoo Bill
08-05-2003, 05:21 AM
If you're in CMYK, only the first 4 channels are "real," (1-3 in RGB) They represent the plates the printer uses to print the book. Channels 5-15 are "Alpha" channels (don't know why but, that's the name) and they're not actual channels but, just a place to hold your stencils/masks/selections. Because they're grayscale, they use much less RAM and scratch disk space, allowing you to work faster.

Short version - Place your lineart into Channel 5 (Color=selected areas, 100% Black) and color the Background layer in flat colors (Lasso set to 0 feather, anti alias off). Copy the flat colors into Channel 6 (same settings as Ch 5) to store your selections. Model the BG layer. Save. Select Channel 5 and fill with black on the BG before printing.

By keeping the line art and flat color Channels separate from the modeled colors, corrections go much quicker.

Karl!
08-12-2003, 10:13 AM
I tried out your step by step, but what happened is that I colored the line art. but the bgrnd turned black? :o

Phil Clark
08-12-2003, 10:44 AM
Actually it is far simpler than the step by step above. Open your original art file and then open the texture file you want the art to appear to be drawn on. Make sure that both images use the same color space (RGB or CMYK). Resize the texture file to make sure that it has a pixel size equal to or larger than the line art. Select all on the texture file, copy and then past it onto the lineart file. On the layers palette, change the blending method of the texture layer to multiply, and there you have it.

Hope this works for you, it should.

Inkthinker
08-12-2003, 02:49 PM
Noo, no, no.... see, if you do it that way, you get fuzzy white edges on your line art because the grey pixels that make up the anti-aliased edge are pre-mulitplied to white as a result of them being part of a flattened Layer in which the BG was white.

If you use the Black Channel to select the line art by ONLY selecting the Black in the image, not just the pixels themselves but their values independant of the color that they are flattened to, then you can create a line art Layer that contains only black lines and anti-aliased edges premulitplied to transparency, so that they'll combine with whatever color you lay beneath the anti-aliased edge.

If you have to set the Layer properties on Mulitply in order to get past the white fuzzies, you'll be limiting your options by not being able to set those Layer properties to anything else. It might not be a problem the first few images you color, espescially if you're doing simple stuff, but later on you may find yourself painted into to a proverbial corner, unable to achieve certain effects because of the nature of your Layer properties.

Baloodoo Bill
08-12-2003, 06:14 PM
Not sure what you mean by, "colored the line art." Are you saying you colored the black lines themselves? The color goes on the Background Layer, this means you color everything EXCEPT the lines. You are, of course, free to color the lines if you wish, it's just not part of this particular experiment

If the image goes black, when placing the black line art (from channel 5) onto the BG layer, it's because you've set your channel prefs to Color=Masked areas instead of Color=Selected areas. Simply invert the selection or: Copy Channel 5, trash Channel 5, create new Channel 5 by clicking on "new channel" icon at the bottom of the Channels Palette which will bring up Channel prefs and reset the Color=Masked to Color=Selected, and paste.

Karl!
08-18-2003, 05:37 AM
Ok, I'm sure the answer for my next Q is in the answers above, but there is a lot of info thrown up there.. but basically:

I've got the lineart in Alpha channel 5, flats on the BG layer, and a bunch of diff layers with colors. When I flatten image and save, the lineart isn't there. How do I bring it along?

Nerdface
08-18-2003, 06:45 AM
That's actually very easy.
Before you save, click the button on the channels window : "Load channel as selection" on your lineart channel. Now fill that selection up with black on your CMYK/RGB channel.

Et voilá!

Baloodoo Bill
08-18-2003, 05:01 PM
I may have done a disservice with the short version. The Line Art doesn't go on the BG proper but, on the K channel alone.

After applying the Line Art to the K channel, reduce the selection by 3 pixels and fill channels CMY with gray (default black with K set to 0)

Why? Because inks are transparent. Black will add to the color underneath but will not block it out. Find a pre-90's Superman comic and you'll notice that Supes has three different shades of black. Blue black on his chest, red black on his cape and yellow black on his cape logo. This is because black is sitting on different individual colors.

By using the above method, no matter what color the black "appears" to cover, it's actually covering a consistent neutral gray. The pixel reduction is for registration purposes in case plates slip out of place which they always do.

Karl!
09-10-2003, 04:54 PM
So, If I see a texture I like in a photo, is it possible to make a brush out of it to use in Photoshop?