PDA

View Full Version : need help with my printer.. plz help

Killer_gym_sox
07-31-2003, 11:40 PM
i have an Hp Officejet V40xi printer/scanner/fax/copier (ya know the printers that are also faxes scanners and copiers?)

anyways.. it says on the little screen "phone off hook" I have called my grandfather up.. who knows a lot about computers.. He had me check the device manager and everything but theres no little yellow exclamation point. I have two phone lines and everything but i still dont get whats wrong. the printer wasnt working a while back but it was a plug that was unplugged and it was a different problem.. it just said it was disconnected.. so we reconnected it.. Its not the plugs im pretty sure. Anyways any of you know how to fix it?? I cant print any cool references out. help would be appreciated.. peace

Justice41
08-01-2003, 01:59 AM
No clue dude. Re-install the device drivers. Are you on an ethernet or some sort of print server?

Killer_gym_sox
08-01-2003, 02:13 AM
sigh.. i dunno.. all i know is its a printer that u plug in and u can use it to scan, copy, print, or fax.... and the fact that it says phone off hook... I dun even know HOW to reinstall drivers and if i did what would it do to everything else i have on this computer.

Dash Martin
08-01-2003, 02:15 AM
Companies have websites for a reason.

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=bpu01832

Killer_gym_sox
08-01-2003, 02:52 AM
ya... too bad it looks like japanese to me

Dash Martin
08-01-2003, 05:04 AM
uuuh...ok. Well, go fetch the person who usually turns the computer on for you and have go down that checklist. I'm sure the problem will be solved real quick.

Killer_gym_sox
08-01-2003, 05:12 AM
i figured out what its saying.. just had to read it more careful. I was looking for a fast fix.. Oh and by the way.. you know people would probably appreciate your attemp to help them if you werent being such a prick about it

Carter
08-01-2003, 05:34 AM
But then the specatators like me wouldn't enjoy wallowing in your misery so much.

--Carter--

red7ine
08-01-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Killer_gym_sox
Oh and by the way.. you know people would probably appreciate your attemp to help them if you werent being such a prick about it

jesus christ. just be thankful I didn't get here first, you ungrateful little turd.

Killer_gym_sox
08-01-2003, 03:33 PM
ya anyways i think the problem is my modem is using the same phone line as my printer.. i dunno why my printer needs to use a phone line.. guess its because its part fax..

and methane sorry i got pissed. Thought u were trying to be rude. But thanks for the link.. just wish i knew what to do

Dash Martin
08-01-2003, 05:12 PM
I wasn't trying to be rude...I'm naturally rude. Anyway, try disconnecting from the internet and then using your HP. Then reconnect when you're done.

...and I just get pissy at people when they don't even try to do something computer related because they assume it HAS to be difficult. That's why I stopped being a computer technician.

Killer_gym_sox
08-01-2003, 07:09 PM
its cool methane. I understand. This is a confusing problem tho. i did what the site told me to do step by step.. still wont work. I just dont want to have to disconnect everytime i want to print something online... =\ Maybe ill contact the phone company? Or should i contact my isp?

Dash Martin
08-01-2003, 10:40 PM
Do you use the Fax feature? Cause you COULD just connect the phoneline to the computer directly instead of going to the fax first. Otherwise you'd have to call your phonecompany and have a second line put in...assuming disconnecting from the internet fixed your problem. When you tried to use it while you weren't connected to the net, it worked, right?

Killer_gym_sox
08-01-2003, 11:55 PM
well my mom switched 2 cables in the back of the tower to the computer and it still has the "phone off hook" thing but it prints when we are connected... its just something for the fax.. and we do have two phone lines.