PDA

View Full Version : A digital inking question

SenorSwanky
07-29-2003, 08:55 PM
So many inking questions lately; here's a more specific technology-based one. I hate ruling backgrounds, tech and buildings, etc. Is there a way in Photoshop or Illustrator to ink backgrounds on the ink layer over a background layer (the pencils) and have the results be with as much character and life, but still be as hard-edged, as if I had done it by hand?

Jeremy Colwell
07-29-2003, 11:05 PM
yes.

Bolland genius method (or at least what I use) (http://www.brianbolland.com/gk37/step8.html)

SenorSwanky
07-29-2003, 11:28 PM
Thanks. But that was only about creating a perspective grid, which I don't need nor understand.
What tools in PS do you use to actually rule backgrounds? He didn't address that, just the predrawing part.

Jeremy Colwell
07-30-2003, 12:01 AM
I usually just stroke in my vanishing lines with the pen tool and then erase the part I'm not using. I suppose you could draw in the complete lines and then on a new layer use the pencil tool and shift+click to draw straight lines on top of your grid. Whatever is easier.

Jeremy

SenorSwanky
07-30-2003, 12:09 AM
So if I'm inking, I would use the pencil tool? This is the inking stage I'm talking about, not drawing.

Jeremy Colwell
07-30-2003, 12:31 AM
Yes, use the pencil tool for final inking. The brush tool is anti-aliased and thus not true black and white.

Jeremy

SenorSwanky
07-30-2003, 12:37 AM
Oh, thanks for clearing that up. Like I said, I know very little about PS. I just ordered a Wacom today (the 6 x 8 Intuos2), so before now I've only used it for converting to blueline, cleaning up scans, and tiling multiples scans into one piece.

Baloodoo Bill
07-30-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by SenorSwanky
Thanks. But that was only about creating a perspective grid, which I don't need nor understand.

I may be misunderstanding what you wrote but, if you can't read or understand a perspective grid then you need to learn how.

Perspective, proportion, construction and light form the basics of drawing. I place perspective first as the remaining basics require perspective, while perspective requires none of the others.

While appearing difficult and time consuming, It's much faster than guessing wrong, erasing, and guessing wrong again... and again... and again. Once you learn, it sits in the back of your mind with your multiplication tables, ready whenever you need it.

SenorSwanky
07-30-2003, 10:18 PM
OK, guys, I keep saying this: I'm an INKER. What I didn't understand was not the concept of perspective but the technology of doing it on PS. He didn't explain it for laymen.
Maybe you guys misunderstood my original question. What I'm trying to find out is if you can INK backgrounds over a pencil layer quicker than and as natural-looking as if done by hand.

Dash Martin
07-31-2003, 01:15 PM
Give this a try. In Photoshop, select the "Oil Pastel Large" brush and select black for the color. Use that to trace over the pencil lines on a seperate layer. If there are staright lines in the background...make a dot and the beginning of the line. Then hold done SHIFT and click once at the end of the line. This will draw a straight line that doesn't look like it was made with the line tool. It even makes natural looking corners. Try it out. It looks just like a scanned in inked page.

SenorSwanky
07-31-2003, 01:23 PM
Thanks, dude. I'll try that out. I've been opposed to digital inking before but one area I've seen it work well in is on tech stuff.

SenorSwanky
09-11-2003, 11:17 AM
Additional question now that I've actually tried this out: how do you make diagonals straight? The Shift key makes only vertical and horizontal lines.

Dash Martin
09-11-2003, 01:06 PM
Just by making a dot. What you do is click to make one point, hold down shift, and click once where you want the end of the line to go. Don't try to draw the line, just make those two points and PS will automatically connect the two dots. You MAY have to disable Pen Pressure when doing it though...sometimes it tends to make a tapered line instead of common width on the whole thing.

SenorSwanky
09-11-2003, 09:49 PM
Ahhh.... Thanks. That makes sense.

SenorSwanky
09-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Another problem: how do you turn off sensitivity?

Dash Martin
09-11-2003, 10:54 PM
The Brushes tab at the top next to FileBrowser. In there, just uncheck Shape Dynamics.

SenorSwanky
09-12-2003, 12:11 AM
Ah, thanks again.