PDA

View Full Version : Practice

Shindig
07-27-2003, 09:50 PM
How do you practice drawing? How do you practice comic art?

Dash Martin
07-28-2003, 12:31 AM
...by drawing comic art everyday in a sketchbook.

Phil Clark
07-28-2003, 10:30 AM
Tell me Shindig, how old are you, and have you taken any art classes at all?

I ask because if you are still in school, and haven't taken any art classes, that is where you should start. Before you can start drawing comics (which is a unique and stylized art form) you have to gain a basic knowledge of how to draw. Once you have learned that, and can draw from a model or location, then you can progress to drawing things out of your head. I can give you more information if you tell me a little more about yourself.

xadrian
07-28-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Methane
...by drawing comic art everyday in a sketchbook.

Shoot, just carry a sketchbook with you and draw everything you see.

Shindig
07-28-2003, 05:11 PM
:\ I just turned 13 a few days ago.

Phil- I haven't taken art classes because the school system is short on cash, and they dumped several "related arts classes" and i haven't got the money to take any classes at RISD or the Attleboro Museum this summer . I've done scratchboard and some pastel drawings, I think i'm good with texture. I'll scan some later. I don't really have any drawing experience, but I'd like to develop a basic knowledge of drawing, like you said. That makes a lot of sense :) The problem is, i don't really know how. I've got a sketchbook, and i'll go places and draw what I see, but I'm not very good, and I think i should go more basic. Question: what if i keep making mistakes that I can't see?

Xadrian- That's what i do :) I was just sitting in the mall today drawing people who walked by... is that a good idea?

(Sorry if i answered these in backwards order :) )

-Shindig

xadrian
07-28-2003, 05:32 PM
No, that's exactly what you should be doing. Learn how to draw figures fast. Don't worry about detail at first. Learn light sources and how gravity affects a body. Draw different body types, different ages, races, sexes. Then start with clothing and drapery. If I could go back and start again this is how I'd learn. You can apply what you know to comics later, because really, there's very little of comics anymore that involves battles in space with ultrapowerful creatures wearing spandex. If you learn to draw from comics you're learning to draw from someone else's mistakes. Make your own first.

And feel free to post your stuff in the Sketchbook forum.

Shindig
07-28-2003, 05:58 PM
Figures seems like a general term... do you mean like body types?

Phil Clark
07-28-2003, 06:06 PM
Do you have a digital camera? If so, you could take a picture of what you are drawing and post that along with your art to show us what you were trying to draw, and what you did. Then we could better tell you what needs improvement.

Aside from that, just draw as often as possible and post some of what you draw here at penciljack. I am sure you will get a lot of helpful suggestions.

Shindig
07-28-2003, 06:09 PM
I haven't got a digital camera, but I get what you're saying. I can always take a picture, draw from it, and scan the picture and drawing. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll be sure to post some stuff in the (Sketches? ) forum.

Nirsus
07-28-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Shindig
Figures seems like a general term... do you mean like body types?

a figure = a body
also when he says "drapery" he doesn't mean your curtains. Drapery is a term artists use to mean cloth. The way cloth folds in a shirt or a dress and the different textures of different materials, like denim or silk, are the subjects of drawing drapery.

If you have a budget for books it might help to buy one or two and go through them over the summer. If you can't get a teacher teach yourself. Heck, my local library is great for books on drawing. Maybe you can check out books from your library.

Aside from that if you want to know what mistakes you are making, post your drawings here on PencilJack and ask for some gentle critique.

Good luck!

Nirsus

Shindig
07-28-2003, 06:22 PM
Gentle? As in say I'm a newbie?
I didn't think the library would have books on drawing, but I'll be sure to check it out. Good thing the town I live in has a hugeass library. Thanks! :D

brendon
07-29-2003, 09:48 AM
just keep drawing...
and when you've run out of stuff to draw, then draw some more. And when you've really really just stared at a piece of paper without knowing what to do for hours, then just draw a little bit more....

after that, read a book on drawing.

then take a break to eat, shower, and sleep.

then draw some more.

After repeating this process 10 or 20 times, you can begin to look back on your own work, and see what your own mistakes are.

You need time and distance from your art.

Then after you have fixed all of the mistakes on all of the drawings which you have drawn, reviewed, and corrected...let other people look at them, and ask for criticism...

Then take in the criticism which other people have given you...this might be the toughest part...

If the criticism didn't effect you to deeply...then continue to draw...

Thank you for your question, I hope you enjoyed my answer...

xadrian
07-29-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by brendon
If the criticism didn't effect you to deeply...then continue to draw...

This is the hardest part, really. Especially in this place. Every critique can seem like an attack. Even after years of posting artwork here I can get despondant and upset. Sometimes all you want is a pat on the back and a "Wow that looks great." I've got very few of these, but that's good because I also haven't got any, "Wow you really suck" either. The guys here are (for the most part) really knowledgeable and will tell it like it is, so look at their content and not their meaning. If they say "Your forearm looks all mutated" it's not a slam. Say thank you and then go back and draw 100 forearms.

I wouldn't ask for a gentle crit, I'd ask for low blows, you'll get more out of it if you can distance yourself from the emotional and focus on the imperical.

brendon
07-29-2003, 10:14 AM
xadrian, thank you for expounding on that isssue...I feel the same about that too. I should have included it on my original post, but I was to busy talking about the determination.

Criticism is tough...so the best teaching we can give to start off with is to take crit with pride!!!!!

peace

Shindig
07-29-2003, 11:24 AM
Brendon- I think i'll try that, and I did like your answer.

Xadrian- I get what you're telling me to ask for now. I'm pretty sure that I can handle criticisim, since we get a hell of a lot of it in my kung fu class (yes, i do take kung fu :) ) The only thing it really makes me do is try harder, kinda like what you said by drawing 100 forearms again and again. Thanks for the help, guys!

s.s.nails
07-31-2003, 10:16 AM
Its nice to know that im not the only person here thats pretty young and dont have that much experience:D
The most important thing is to practice. I used to just draw eyes and heads, and that the only thing that improved. But when try to draw all sorts of different things, you improve in all those catagories(spelling?). I know this must seem like common sense but you need to draw everything.

see ya' round,

Shindig
08-05-2003, 08:10 PM
:D Wow! Ever since I got all those responses i've gotten a whole bunch of sketches, just gotta grab the camera and take some pics for comparison :/

martin_topsecret
08-06-2003, 06:24 AM
at 13 years old, I found the "How to draw Marvel Comics" book by Stan Lee and John Buscema to really help me out a lot. Especially the scribble body drawing excercises.

don't worry if you don't like what the art in the book looks like (I doubt that a modern comic savvy 13 year old would dig Buscema), just try the techniques to draw super bodies.

Also drawing from life...like towels, sneakers and chairs and stuff. I bet right now, when you say, "I'm not very good", what you mean is, "What is on the paper isn't like what is in my mind."

A great GREAT GREAT!!! excercise for this is to draw something sitting in front of you without looking at the paper. NO CHEATING. The purpose isn't to produce a good pic, but to flex your "drawing muscles".

This excercise will get you to the point where what you see is what you put on the paper.

....if you develop a "workout plan"...say...every day draw for 90 minutes....10 minutes of no look drawing, 20 minutes of drawing "boring stuff" like towels, and sheets, and dirty laundry and stuff, and an hour of fun stuff, whatever, copy Jim Lee or whoever you like, or draw your own stuff.

AND here is the cool part, in a couple months, draw pictures of your buddies or family members...sooner or later, they will look like who they are supposed to look like. When you build up some confidence and draw a picture of a girl and it looks good...you discover the cool part of being an artist.

Shindig
08-06-2003, 10:51 AM
Wow, you're good! That is pretty much what I meant. Sometimes I can see a picture and even show myself in my mind how I would draw the lines, but it looks nothing like it should when I'm done. I think i'll try that exercise too. I already have a "workout" schedule, which I factored into my daily schedule using Outlook (I used Outlook to organize my daily activites :D).

I think i've got another question too.

After I've practiced drawing things such as objects and people for around (a year or two?) should it be easier to draw things from my mind?

Ooh, ooh! And one other thing. Does anyone have any reccomended "schedules" like the one mentioned earlier? I could definatley use some ideas there :)