PDA

View Full Version : Flash as an Inking tool

nowhereman
07-22-2003, 03:57 PM
I find Flash very easy to use for inking (more than more complicated graphic software like Photoshop). It also has nice smoothing tools which makes it easier when using a tablet.

Opinions on this?

Dash Martin
07-22-2003, 04:45 PM
If you're going to do vector-based digital inking...I recommend giving Adobe Illustrator a try. It has more options and saves as industry standard formats.

Inkthinker
07-22-2003, 07:40 PM
That or Adobe Streamline, which is specifically designed to convert raster images to vector.

Actually, I think the latest versions of PS and Illustrator have Streamline built into them...

nowhereman
07-23-2003, 01:29 PM
Thanks, for the input, guys! Are there any good drawing/inking with Illustrator tutorials out there?

By the way, this is such a great forum - lots of great information and inspiring artwork.

Spidey
07-31-2003, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Inkthinker

Actually, I think the latest versions of PS and Illustrator have Streamline built into them...
You mean 7 and 10 or the newer ones?

Phil Clark
07-31-2003, 08:28 AM
Photoshop 7 and Illustrator 10 are the most current versions of the programs.

pigeonmilk
08-19-2010, 09:02 AM
To add to this post. I have used both flash and illustrator to create lineart and personall I find that flash is easier to use over all than illustrator, but Illustrator is still a very good program designed for vector art where as flash has a more ease of use aspect to it with the tools and coloring but is more web content/interactivity based.

Illustrator required more clicks to do the same actions in Flash.

I didnt like the coloring feature in Illustrator, where you couldnt color like you could in Photoshop/flash or even MS Paint with a color bucket. Illustrator colors be defiining a PATH first then filling the path with the selected color.which if your not used to is VERY frustrating. Also just color managment in Illustrator is frustrating.

Now I am using CS3 Illustrator and Flash as my versions atm.

oqnet
08-19-2010, 12:53 PM
I was so confused as to why people would think photoshop 7 and illustrator 10 were the latest versions of the software.

I was thinking maybe people just didn't want to move on because 7 is so nice.

HB Lovecraft
09-20-2010, 12:58 AM
Ink is ink. Digital inking is terrible. It doesn't save time. Use real ink!

Ridge
09-25-2010, 12:54 AM
And don't use any of that pre-packaged store bought crap either. Make your own by grinding charcoal from imported hardwoods and mixing with equal parts river clay & saliva. Forget brushes & quills too, fingers & sharpened bird bones are all you'll ever need. And only paint on cave walls. Limestone preferably.:D

Just playing, but I've got to say I love digital inks. Done right I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference these days. Saves me loads of time too. Haven't had a chance to play with Flash but I've worked with Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketchbook Pro, Corel Painter & Manga Studio. If your primary goal is inking I highly recommend trying Manga Studio. In the end it's all about finding the tools that work right for you

Inkthinker
09-25-2010, 02:50 AM
Ink is ink. Digital inking is terrible. It doesn't save time. Use real ink!

I and some others might beg to differ. It depends on what you use and how you use it. Technique continues to play a vital role in any production.

fo_straight
10-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Ink is ink, digital or otherwise. Check out videos on Dave Gibbons on YouTube, inking with Manga Studio and a Cintiq. He doesn't seem to be losing anything by going digital; in fact, he raves about it. I do all my artwork digitally these days, and I've never had more fun doing it, and it's never looked better.