PDA

View Full Version : What's the best type of white ink?

Nibbles
07-22-2003, 12:09 AM
The white ink that I use is 'Dr. Philip Martins pen white'. It work well enough, but if I'm trying to completely white out an area it takes 2-3 times over the same area. Am I just not putting it on thick enough or is there a higher quality white ink??
Thanks.

ALLGOLD
07-22-2003, 12:33 AM
For corrections, I usually use a few drops of bottled h2o and Dr. Martin's "Bleed proof white" to the consistency of a little thinner than sour cream. The Pen-white stuff is way too thin for corrections, it works pretty well with dip pens for highlight work, white on black stuff. I prefer the FW white acrylic ink for that kind of work though--it seems to flow better to me. You should also try slightly watered down Windsor and Newton designers gouache "permanent white" for larger areas also. Pro-white works as well--just black out a bunch of areas and try out as much different stuff as you can, the more water you mix with the white, the more times you'll have to go over the area. Also, make sure that the areas you want to white out are TOTALLY dry, otherwise you are going to have a grey mess to work with. Hope that helps, just remember to experiment as much as possible.. AG

Nibbles
07-22-2003, 12:40 AM
Thank you!
By any chance do you know a link where I can order that stuff from, my local art supply stores only carry about 2 different types(usaully not what I'm looking for too).

ALLGOLD
07-22-2003, 12:53 AM
I got all of that stuff from a local art shop around here, I'm sure they have all of this on their website too- www.dickblick.com

Nibbles
07-22-2003, 01:14 AM
Thanks again. I'm finding all kinds of neat stuff on that site.