PDA

View Full Version : mini-comic printing

Solace
07-19-2003, 05:37 PM
Inthinker posted a method for printing out mini comics that was very concise and held a lot of information about paper sizes, ratios and print cost. I can't find the original thread now, and wondered if he'd repost it. Seems like it'd be a useful addition to the tips section. Plus i want to see it again.

thanks.

-sol

Inkthinker
07-20-2003, 05:22 AM
I'm not sure which thread you were talking about... but I did do a bit on using Kinko's to create ashcans, and the way to get 8 double-sided pages out of one sheet of 11x17 paper.

Is that what you're talking about?

Jeremy Colwell
07-20-2003, 11:36 AM
I think this is the one your're looking for, a couple of posts down Ink gives some good info. http://www.penciljack.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31214&highlight=kinkos

Maybe this one too. http://www.penciljack.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28679&highlight=kinkos

Solace
07-20-2003, 03:12 PM
Yeah, that's what i was looking for. Those threads somehow seem to have melded into to one in my memory, but hey, thanks! Any other tips/advice that people might want to throw in here would be welcome as well.

-sol

astrocity20
07-20-2003, 06:46 PM
Ink gives out to much good information that even he can't remember lol.

xadrian
07-23-2003, 09:48 AM
I'm going to use this thread because it's pertinent to the discussion I want to get going.

If you choose to not use Kinkos and print your own books I want to let you know that I tried a dry run last night with 4 pages, front and back on my own printer just to see if it'd be worth doing it myself. I would have to work on the layout a little better, get the printer to fit the image to the page rather than add margins that reduce the image. In the end I was NOT happy with the print quality. 2 main things will keep me from doing this: 1) The ink bleed. Bleed on the edges, bleed through the paper. 2) The paper warped.

Now this is printing versus copying, I could probably play with the settings on my printer (Canon S630) but I don't know how to tell it to use less ink but make the blacks just as black.

Anyway, wanted to pass that along. I know some guys said they'd use their own printers.

EddieChingLives
07-23-2003, 10:33 AM
Xadrian,

Maybe you should use thicker paper. Are you using standard 24lb.? Maybe you should try something in the 30's or even 60's.

I also heard that Laser printers do a better job on black n white than normal ink-jet.

Anyways, good luck. I'm glad you're trying new things.

xadrian
07-23-2003, 01:43 PM
thicker paper = harder stapling and folding, but I'm going to the store to see what kind is available

Thanks!