PDA

View Full Version : good brand inking pens/ coloring markers

saint manji
07-17-2003, 03:09 AM
just like the subject says. I used the crayola markers that i found around my place but man do they suck. either that or i'm just that horrible.

inking pens: what are the good brands and/or thickness of them or whatever it is you inkers use. I use my roommate's caligraphy pens but it's kinda like inking with a pilot, git what i'm saying?
so where can i get these and what's the usual cost of 'em?

saint manji
07-17-2003, 03:10 AM
aw shit! my dumbass posted this on the wrong board, someone move this....

QUICKLY.

Super Rats
07-17-2003, 09:49 AM
Any brand of alcohol based marker will give you better colors...Prismacolor, Tria or Copic. They range from about $2.50 - $6.00 a marker.

Prismacolor is the cheapest of the three, comes in 144 colors, and available at most art stores. It has a broad head and a fine tip...I found the fine tip has a tendency to dry out though.

Tria markers are neat, they have three tips on one marker (broad, fine, super fine), refillable, come in 298 colors, and is also available in many art stores. I believe these also have an airbrush system. Tria markers also use the Pantone color matching system.

Copics are harder to find in stores (online is no problem). Of the three, the initial cost is higher for the Copics. They come in 310 colors, are refillable, and there are replacement nib options (depending on which of the three lines you choose: Original, Sketch, of Ciao). I use the Copic Sketch line. It comes with a broad head and a brush tip. Copic original and Copic Sketch can also have an accessory to use the marker like an airbrush.

Dash Martin
07-17-2003, 01:12 PM
If you insist on inking with a pen instead of a brush or quill, give the Staedler PigmentLiners a try. I often use them along with my brush. They work real well. As for color...I love the Prismacolor markers.

saint manji
07-18-2003, 03:44 AM
what about brushes, is there a site i can go to, to see what they look like. Cause i'd like to learn with a brush over a pen.

IVIxPx
07-18-2003, 11:46 AM
I dunno about brushes, but I would highly reccomend the Staedtler pens reccomended earlier.... they're really nice and cartoonists such as Howard Tayler from www.schlockmercenary.com use them.

dfbovey
07-18-2003, 11:53 AM
Windsor and Newton make good brushes that are relatively cheap. Browse around www.dickblick.com or www.pearlart.com ... kubert school has an on-line art store as well but I don't have the link readily availible.

I love prisma markers as well. But as mentioned, they have a tendancy to dry up on you. Not sure if Tria would be any better though. That's just the nature of markers.