PDA

View Full Version : Blood Spatters

Samburger
07-15-2003, 06:20 PM
Not to make myself seem like some sort of weirdo or anything, but is there a trick to getting good looking blood spatters or ink spatters? What's the protocol for spattering ink? brush? etc. etc.
and is there a good way to go about putting down cool looking blood spatters with pencil or does it only come with the inking job?

Baloodoo Bill
07-15-2003, 07:10 PM
I start with a Xerox which I then cut as a mask. After that I just load up my brush with ink and, holding it parallel to the surface, tap it over the art. For a more directional effect, I'll use a slight "throwing" motion starting with my hand at about 10:30 and snapping it down to 6:00 (for lefties 3:30 to 6:00)

I've seen others use old toothbrushes which they drag across a small piece of screen or their thumbnail. Both brush and toothbrush methods work well for stars also.

I'd think that drawing said splatter in pencil first would be horribly time consuming. A simple outline of the general area or pattern should suffice, much like the old "red line" process for highlights.

Dash Martin
07-15-2003, 10:10 PM
I use a large .tif file with a scanned in page of splatters I made with an old toothbrush. I just clone the splatters onto the page in Photoshop. Provides more control over where you want and don't want splatters.

jacon
07-15-2003, 11:51 PM
i have also used a toothbrush for some water color paintings i've done

Chris Piers
07-16-2003, 11:27 AM
I have used a toothbrush to brush me teeth. More than once every day actually. I highly recommend it!

jacon
07-17-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Chris Piers
I have used a toothbrush to brush me teeth. More than once every day actually. I highly recommend it! and then he uses the blood from his gums to get the best effect

s.s.nails
07-18-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by jacob_phatty
and then he uses the blood from his gums to get the best effect

I've been meening to do that.

Samburger
07-18-2003, 05:15 PM
sort of load the toothbrush and flick it at a 45 degree angle then? and when i try to mask using the method of xerox copy, i always get ink that will go under my mask. maybe i'm doing it wrong.

Baloodoo Bill
07-18-2003, 07:28 PM
Cut the mask so the "hole" is slightly smaller than the space. Use coins to hold down the edges, or small loops of tape under the mask. A thin layer of diluted Rubber Cement can be used to secure the more "tendril" like parts of the mask.

Samburger
07-19-2003, 12:42 PM
never would have thought to lay coins down. thanks