PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Negatives?

jacon
07-11-2003, 05:35 PM
i tried to scan some negatives on my HP 3400C and it just didn't work out :(

does anyone scan a lot of negatives and have any tips for me other than buying some special equipment or programs? :confused:

Carter
07-11-2003, 06:31 PM
Yeah. Go to the photobooth at Wal Mart.

--Carter--

Nitemare
07-11-2003, 07:39 PM
i havent actually done it.. but ive sold alot of scanners to people that used them for just that... i know some of the cannons come with a special attachment for negatives.. and other then the software that comes with it . im pretty sure thats all you need. I think the hp's do as well.. did yours come with a lid attachment?

Dash Martin
07-11-2003, 07:57 PM
Try leaving the scanner lid open and shining some light on it and see what happens.

dfbovey
07-11-2003, 08:04 PM
Methane... That would work for slides, but not negatives.

I think the only option you have is special equipment unless there is some funtion in photoshop that would convert a film negative into a regular color image.

The cheapest option would probably be to go have prints made at Walmart or something, then scan the prints. (as Enemy Brain Suggested).

If you are planning on doing this often, then I'd do a search and try to find out what kind of equipment and software you need.

Baloodoo Bill
07-11-2003, 08:41 PM
Define "didn't work out."

I'd imagine you'd need a top light, given it's a transparency as opposed to reflective.

Check your scanner software manual to see if you have a "negative" button. One click reverses the image from positive to negative or vice versa.

Dash Martin
07-11-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by dfbovey
Methane... That would work for slides, but not negatives.

I think the only option you have is special equipment unless there is some funtion in photoshop that would convert a film negative into a regular color image.

The cheapest option would probably be to go have prints made at Walmart or something, then scan the prints. (as Enemy Brain Suggested).

If you are planning on doing this often, then I'd do a search and try to find out what kind of equipment and software you need.

Couldn't just hit Invert in Photoshop after you scanned it in?

jacon
07-12-2003, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by Methane
Try leaving the scanner lid open and shining some light on it and see what happens. i'll try this. the whole point of asking is so i don't have to spend any money. thanks guys:D
i'll let you know if it works

Dash Martin
07-12-2003, 06:00 PM
...and shouldn't this thread be in Tips and Tech? I'm gonna move it there.

Mike
07-12-2003, 06:40 PM
My new(er) scanner came with a serial attachment that's meant for scanning negatives and slides. I have two of them now. The manufacturer is Microtek, so if you think you might be able to use it, Jacob, let me know.

jacon
07-12-2003, 08:32 PM
i would totally use it, but like i said before i can't really give you anything because i'm broke :(

jacon
07-12-2003, 08:37 PM
...and shouldn't this thread be in Tips and Tech? I'm gonna move it there. you're probably right...

Mike
07-12-2003, 08:52 PM
Doh.. I just looked the part up at Microtek's homepage and it looks like it runs off of Microtek software through only Microtek scanners.

Sorry to get your hopes up. I can send it to you anyway (when I send out Paulfresh's stuff and all the late birthday gifts I have to send from last year) and you can see if it works..?

jacon
07-13-2003, 01:20 AM
putting a light behind it kinda works... it works better than just scanning them without it.

dfbovey
07-14-2003, 12:12 PM

I don't think it would work, negatives aren't exactly inversed color images. So inversing the color would just make the black areas brown and the brown areas black. If you just want a black and white image, it may work.

I don't know for sure though :)

jacon
07-14-2003, 09:31 PM
nah it doesn't work that great... there's a kinda orange film over the color negative so when you invert it everything comes out in a blueish color. but shining the light behind it and inverting it like that works for what i needed to do anyway. thanks for the help!:D