PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Ziptones?

Akira X
07-07-2003, 04:18 PM
I heard mention of a japanese program that can be used to apply ziptones to artwork digitally, and I'm curious as to what that is, but I know that you can do them in photoshop as well.

So my questions are, does anyone know more about that program and does anyone know any sites that have a bunch of good scans of zips or has some for their own that they'd be willing to share?

Chris Piers
07-07-2003, 05:00 PM
I was about to ask the same question. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

jeremy dale
07-07-2003, 05:54 PM
This is indeed a good question. I've wanted to toy around with Zipatone patterns for awhile.

I wish I knew.

Baloodoo Bill
07-07-2003, 06:40 PM
http://shinobu.clubneko.net/tones/#

The "higher" the frequency, the smaller the dot. I find the 100 and 60 too fine but, that's just me.

Bruce Lee
07-07-2003, 06:41 PM
Don't know a thing about a ziptone program. I know you can scan zip patterns into your computer and drop them in via Photoshop though.

Loston
http://www.lostonwallace.com

E.J.Su
07-07-2003, 06:52 PM
The progame is called ComicStudio (http://www.comicstudio.net)

I am still waiting for the English version to come out, I think Inkthinker may have more information on the English version.

Chris Piers
07-07-2003, 07:08 PM
What method have you been using to add tones to the Tech Jacket tpb, E.J.?

E.J.Su
07-07-2003, 07:31 PM
Photoshop.

I made all the most used screentones into a collection of Photoshop Patterns. 5%, 10%, 20%, 30%.. 70% gray in 50, 75, 100 LPI, I ended up with list of 24 various screentones. I also made sure the patterns have transparent backgrounds.

I fill in a new screentoned pattern in a new layer, and cover that layer up with mask so I could easily mask or unmask the screentone anywhere on the page.

Since I had around 130+ pages to screentone, to make it easier for myself, I also made an action that with a click of a button, I would have like 6 or 7 layers of different screentones all masked and ready to go.

Akira X
07-07-2003, 07:34 PM
Wow! Thanks Bill.

I've got some zips here at home, but they're all fancy electrical things, and I've even got a few citry backgrounds, but none of the plain old normal kinds. So that'll come in handy for sure.

jal
07-12-2003, 01:13 AM
what about the powertone plugin for photoshop, is that what u were talking about E.J. ? cuz i still havent heard anyone mention that. anywhere! but i heard it was pretty good :(

E.J.Su
07-12-2003, 04:18 AM
Powertone is for creating doutone images, I think you mean Halftone plugin. No, that's not what I was talking about. I make my halftones manually by turning grayscale to bitmap mode.

I can't comment on "Halftone" plugin, I've never used it. I had a demo at one time, but demo won't let you actually render the image.

vanbeat
07-16-2003, 01:06 PM
Here's the way I do it, using spot channels and the color halftone filter.

1. Make your selection for the area you want to fill with tone.

2. Go to channels and make a new spot channel from the pull down menu, and fill it with the color of your choice. It's up to the color choice as to the solidity you choose.

3. Go to filters>pixelate>color halftone and choose the appropriate pixel size. On a 300dpi file between 8 and 12 is a good start. Screw around with the screen angle if you like.

4. Deselect what you've just filled. Command click the channel and notice you've got only the dots selected. Cut the selection and drag the channel to the trash.

5. Go to your layers, create a new one and paste your selection. Since this was a one bit channel, it'll now be a shade of gray, so select the color you chose in stage 2 and fill the selected dots.

6. Move the new dot layer into position (a little out of reg may help the effect), and move on to your next color. I assume everyone knows about keeping the line art layer on top and set to Multiply...

You can also airbrush your shading on its own layer, cut and paste it into a spot channel and repeat the process, which will give you the "decreasing size" dots that look so cool when placed over a flat fleshtone layer.

You can apply the filter multiple times if needed, and also adjust the levels or curves to cut the frequency of the tone once rendered. Some tones require different solidity settings in the spot channels, but it won't take long to get the hang of it. And it's free.

I searched and searched for a filter to handle this process, but finally just gave up and figured it out my own way. Hope this is some help for you.

Regards,
Van