PDA

View Full Version : Detail?

Froze Nose
06-03-2003, 01:36 PM
Everyone who sees my drawings tells me that they are too bland or unappealing. I realize that I'm not too great of an artist in any area but of all, I think I struggle most with adding the detail needed to enhance a piece to the point where it's actually impressive to look at. Does anyone have tips on how to add realistic, subtle, and attractive detail to a drawing? I don't need any specifics, just general little add ons that you classically put into your own drawings would be great.

Jeremy Colwell
06-03-2003, 04:32 PM
I just put myself in the scene. If the script needs a room, what would I see if I walked in there? If the character's walking down the street, what would I see if I was there? Characters don't exist in a vacuum. For them to be believable, they need to exist in the real world with objects that can be seen in the real world. I'm not sure if that's the detail you're talking about, but that's my take on it.

Jeremy

guerilla mosh
06-04-2003, 01:42 PM
Try adding a little hatching into your work, their are a lot of different ways to hatch and by doing that it adds alot of detail and texture. Also try adding little things that are fun to look at if your drwing robots or metal add some rust maybe some wear and tear and if some one is wearing clothes add little logos or charcters on them.;bat;

Inkthinker
06-04-2003, 05:17 PM
Too much hatch noise just makes a drawing look sloppy and crowded, though. The trick is to know WHERE to use shading and texturing for effect. Too many artists add various tick marks and bits of pencil noise to a surface to create the ILLUSION of detail, and generally the end result is a sloppy-looking image.

The trick to detail is simply observation and reference. Magazines are great for this purpose... If you want to draw detailed clothing, get some fashion magazines. You want detailed rooms? Check out some books or magazines on interior design. Weapons? Check out the latest issue of Guns & Ammo. Learn how and where to put seams on clothing, learn how a gun is put together so you can accurately render both its form and its function, leanr where trim and framing go in a room.

There are some things that are harder to get photo reference for, like the way light plays on the surface of water, or different types of trees, etc. in this case, your best choice is to simply be more observant. next time you see an impressive sunset, try to recall exactly how the light and shadow work. Same for anything else...

Proper reference and good observation skills are the key to accurate, more detailed drawings.

penciljack
06-04-2003, 05:42 PM
Various amounts of detail can also be used to set up contrast in your drawings. An example would be a highly detailed background with a somewhat less detailed foreground figure, etc. The reverse is also true.

Similarly, you can use higher levels of detail to lead the eye to a particular part of an image.

Inkthinker
06-05-2003, 01:38 AM
I might add, just for kickies, that the simplified character/complex background is often used in Japanese comics, and the opposite (complex, realistic character illustrations, simpler backgrounds) is seen often in American comics.

Both techniques, or any combination, can be used to create great comics, though. Some of the best stuff is simple and clean in both characters and environments.

GroundHog
06-10-2003, 04:54 PM
sometimes detail is good sometimes it aint.
One thing that is important these days is individual technique.
Add details if ya want, don't if you don't.
People are always gonna be talkin' shit.

Personally I go for details, 2 personal faves of mine are durer and umm. . . . that other dude who did work like him only, more detailed :P

I look at things close up. Yes one may see me with my face smashed up against a desk/tree/rusted metal/cloth/leaf/whatever.
Also another thing that helps is learning the deep texture editor in Bryce.

xadrian
06-10-2003, 05:44 PM
Observation is really the key, but don't discount the fact that you still have to draw it. That means understanding what you're drawing. Even if you haven't seen something, or don't want to take the time to learn about it, at least take the time to draw it.

What I mean by that is, let's take a rock for example. Most people will draw a rock as a basic angular blob outline, then split it down the middle with a craggy line, one half of the rock is in light, the other in shadow. And you're done.

Now if you were just drawing the rock, just think for a second. What does a rock have? Cracks? Chips? Sure. Is it smooth? Then add some reflections. Is it multicolored? Then add some different tones. Is it broken? Leaning on something? Is it quartz, coal, limestone, granite. Even without researching the geology.com site, just thinking in basic terms will give you some ideas on what to include in an image. Just make sure to take the time to think about it.

Think about people and what they wear and what is needed and what isn't. Even just going over it in your mind will force you come up with things like dents and scratches and folds and reflections. That and just doing it over and over again.

Best of luck.

s.s.nails
06-13-2003, 04:36 PM
lol I have the exact opposite problem, I start doing detail too early. I need to set it all up first.