PDA

View Full Version : Digital Inking, need help.

Shadow Stalker
05-22-2003, 06:08 PM
I just got my new wacom, and I love it. It comes with Painter Classic so i tried it out. I think its awsome. The only problem I have so far is the outlines or "Inking" part of the drawing. Here is a run down of my picture. Do you think this is the best way to do it.

Layer 5 "Ink"

Layer 4 "Wings" The wings color.

Layer 3 "Black Hood" The darkness in the hood.

Layer 2 "Robe" The white robe color

Layer 1 "Pencil" This is the basic sketch that I made on the wacom, tracing what I drew befor, and fixed it.

I think thats fine, but the major thing I dislike about this is that my inked lines looks so jagged and messy, I can't get a brush that does it nicely. Could you maybe tell me what you use, or what would be good to use.

BTW:This picture is not finished work. I notice lots of mess-ups, but I just made this to test out the wacom and I had questions, so I thought I would show it to help me explain.

http://threedia.250free.com/ForumPics/Goj/life_colored.jpg

astrocity20
05-22-2003, 06:16 PM
Try smooth ink pen. I dunno if its in Classic but its in all the the bigger packages. If that fails if you have PhotoShop you can ink it in there with a brush. Illustrator provides good inks but I have a problem of an ink blot coming up when I first go to draw a line which really pisses me off.

Mike
05-22-2003, 11:34 PM
Smooth Ink Pen and Fine Point get basically the same results, so try them both. I use the Fine Point in Painter 7 at a Size of 4.0 and a Min Size of 7% and get lines like this (http://wally.pgbco.com/images/strip25.jpg). (sorry for the red pencil lines, but you get the idea.. shown actual pixels). I have my comp set up in 1152x864.

It can be hard to keep a steady hand on a tablet, so that might be part of why your lines are like that. Mess around with the tablet config's pressure sensitivity and find a good median to where you can relieve some of the hand stress that comes will applying pressure and using so much hand/eye coordination.

Shadow Stalker
05-23-2003, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll fool around with it a little and get back to you.