PDA

View Full Version : Silhouettes?

Juan
05-21-2003, 09:35 PM
You guys know any rules pertaining to silhouettes in sequential work? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

dfbovey
05-21-2003, 11:27 PM
How and why is a silhouette being used?

Mystery, like a villain teaser in the final panel of the book? Background filler, like a crowd of people? Easy way out of drawing details?

I guess the first rule is to ask yourself why a silhouette is needed.

The second thing is that if it's a character with distinguishable features... make those evident.

Make the pose distinguishable. When something is solid, the gestured figure becomes more important... body language and what not.

Juan
05-21-2003, 11:41 PM
Thanks Dave. I appreciate your help.

Saturn Lad
05-22-2003, 01:16 AM
See if you've got the July 1993 Brutes & Babes in your collection of old ripped up Wizards. Bart Sears covers silhouettes and shows some good examples from his work. If you don't have it, it sums up as:
1) Use them to quickly pinpoint something or someone, as the extraneous detail has been removed.
2) Use them to create mood (terror, mystery, the unknown, etc.)
3) Keep the action simple
4) Keep the drawing clean and clear, don't let silhouettes overlap each other in a way that makes the image confusing.
5) Tag your figures, like Dave said, show distinguishing marks.
6) Make sure it's functional, ie. whatever they are doing should be readily discernable.
7) Don't use a silhouette because you just thought it would be cool to use a silhouette.

Finally, I recommed Bret Blevin's articles in Draw! magazine. He touches on silhouettes in issues 3 and 4. Though he discusses them from a compositional perspective, not as a storyteller. As a matter of fact, I recommend just about all of the articles in Draw!, it's a great magazine. I just happened across issue 5 and was so impressed I ordered all the back issues.

Jeremy Colwell
05-22-2003, 01:23 AM
Juan, I don't think I've ever used a silhouette in my pencils. I have yet to find a need. I'm not saying there aren't reasons to use them, but they can become a crutch. (Well, I suppose anything can become a crutch, but that's beside the point. :rolleyes: ) I once inked over a guy that had at least one silhouette per page. It kind of burned me out to them. It looked lazy.

I think with your detail driven style of drawing, a silhouette would really stand out, so if it's something you want the reader to notice, throw it in. I'd like to see how you end up doing it if it's something you are able to post.

Jeremy

Juan
05-22-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by J. Colwell
I think with your detail driven style of drawing, a silhouette would really stand out, so if it's something you want the reader to notice, throw it in. I'd like to see how you end up doing it if it's something you are able to post.

Jeremy

Yeah, I'm working on a page that has so much detail that I thought about using silhouettes for some monsters since they are in the foreground to help them stand out against the highly detailed background. It's just a thought though...I'm actually thinking about changing it around a bit now. This drawing pages work is hard as hell, but highly rewarding. I'm learning alot more doing it than I did with pinups...and I'll see what I can do about posting some of the page work after I'm finished with it.