PDA

View Full Version : PHP and comics.

in4pain
05-04-2003, 09:39 PM
I was starting to look into the php thing for uploading and archiving my comic strip and was wanting to get some feedback from anyone who has info or uses any php software for this type of work. I did find some software on source forge that seems to fit the bill. Does anyone here have any feedback on any of this software? Thanks in advance.
http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=comic

xadrian
05-12-2003, 02:43 PM
I'd be interested in knowing as well. Not for a strip but for general purposes. I realize it's a lot of database intensive learning, just seeing if it's appropriate for a gallery as well.

The Penny-Arcade guys use php for their site, seems to work well.

Inkthinker
05-12-2003, 03:16 PM
So do the guys at Kenzer and Co.

How does this stuff work?

xadrian
05-12-2003, 04:37 PM
I know it's a web scripting tool that allows you to run database type scripts on the front end rather than rely on CGI. Outside of that I'm still reading the book.

For the strips we're talking about, if you name a strip with a date and some keywords, you can create a "database" of all the strips so people can browse them by date and keyword.

For a gallery type page, showing art, I don't know that it would be THAT useful unless you have a buttload of art that you've gone through and catagorized.

I hear it's very easy to work with, but I think it's for more in depth sites with more content to offer.

www.php.net

CS
05-12-2003, 05:13 PM
i don't know anything about it, but I got a friend to help me with my site, he wrote some simple php scripts for my doodle of the moment section, my guestbook, and my journal. the doodle and journal scripts are pretty much the same, i just modified them slightly myself. Its neat stuff. Glad I didn't have to learn it and had a friend who liked playing with code though:)

sic1
05-12-2003, 10:41 PM
I'd say go with whatever suits your needs best. Theres a gallery tool that Craig Mullins and some other artists use to showcase their work. I haven't installed that particular script, but depending on how you like the way it's used, you may like it.

I have created my own PHP gallery to archive much of my art work. I used to draw when I was younger, and I'm getting back into it. I thought it would be cool to archive all of my work, that way when (IF) I become better, I can look back and see the process through which I went. It's also handy because I have much of the work readily available at my finger tips. Right now the script is in a very early beta, and I plan to add more features this summer. If you like, I've posted a link to it. It may or may not work from time to time, as it's still in development.

Adam's Art Gallery (http://68.83.209.60/php/artgallery/artgallery.php)