PDA

View Full Version : How would I get started?

versus
05-04-2003, 01:49 PM
Damn, so many potential comic stars so little material to get started with.
I have:
blueline artboards
3.0,5.0,7.0 mech. pencils
so many ideas
just enough time to draw
confidence

I don't have:
patience
photoshop
11x17scanner I have the wrong size (sh*t)
the website
not enough imformation any regular artist have about different
ways of presenting their art.

any comments or interesting sites or help is most needed,
peace.
check out the my thumbnails.

www.disturb-mind.deviantart.com/thumbnails/ (http://www.disturb-mind.deviantart.com/thumbnails/)

vinnlander1313
05-04-2003, 04:54 PM
well, for what you dont have:
patience- meditate, or break stuff when necessary.
photoshop- get kazaa lite and bootleg you a version. just search for photoshop 7 and then for photoshop 7 serial number. but you didnt hear that from me. also make sure that you have virus protection if you are gonna file share. www.grisoft.com has a freebee.
11x17 scanner- you can either buy one for a couple hundred (there is a thread in the tips and techs section of penciljack that discusses the who's, where's and how much's). or, with your newly horked photoshop, you can scan your drawin in in two parts and splice them together. will take a bit of practice but you should be fine.
website- do you mean a host site? dont you have a deviantart site? host your shit there. you just have to link it.
presentation- um... i dont know what you mean.

thats about all. good luck. ;cap;

versus
05-05-2003, 08:58 AM
I mean damn all these good artist and only one reply, is the question to hard? But, thanks anyway vinnlander1313.

PimpChimp
05-05-2003, 11:05 AM
I'm far from a good artist, plus I just saw the thread :D. But if you actually value my amateur opinion, let me ask a question - what are you looking to do with the website exactly?

[TLG]_Spider-Wal
05-05-2003, 12:07 PM
my guess.....store art :P

cabralsoth
05-06-2003, 02:47 PM
as far as presentation ... first clarity and completeness ... make sure your work is clean , and make sure its done ... they do not like to look at work that isnt understandable , and they really dont like unfinished work .... not very professional to present to a company saying you can work for them but you cant even finish a pic for yourself .... variety.... show samples of everything from apples, to people talking, to perspective, to outer space , to underwater .... everything ...... gives em a big view of what your capable of ... not just buff man in mini speedos checking out hot babe in thong . good luck

xadrian
05-06-2003, 03:26 PM
With the things you've listed, it doesn't sound like you're worried so much about drawing as you are presenting something. If you want to perfect your craft as an artist, you really don't need photoshop, a web site, a scanner or to come here for that matter. If you have ideas, do them. Draw them, ink them. You can worry about the technology later.

However, since you're focused on these things, you could start setting yourself up for a web comic. A good way to use all the tools and present your art.

As far as patience and practice, there's no one anywhere that can help you with that, no download or quick tip or fancy inking nib can make you a better, more focused artist. You have to sit your butt down and do it yourself. If you can't make time to draw, you should probably go into accounting.

If you feel overwhelmed with ideas, pull one out and work on it. Then throw the rest away. Don't focus on 12 ideas at once or you'll never get anywhere. Yeah you can jot down things you like, but don't focus on it too much, pick a story and stick with it. Take the idea and write it down, make and flesh out the characters. Draw them from every angle and position you can. Give them a world to live in and people to associate with, flesh those people and locations out. That right there will keep you going for a long time. Then work on telling the story, do some short 5 page sequentials with your new ideas running around in their world. Can't think of a good plot? Don't have to. Have your main guy ordering a pizza. Just draw it.

If you want a theme to present your work, consider the work itself. A story about gladiators is not going to have a web site that looks like Tron 2.0. There are plenty of people here with sites, and you can get ideas by cruising those.

Like I said, we can't help you get started, you have to do that on your own. It's an internal thing.

versus
05-07-2003, 10:43 PM
never mind about the website, its about how to set your-self up for projects and how to get started.

xadrian
05-12-2003, 02:41 PM
Well, that depends on the person. You could try talking it out with friends, keeping a notebook of ideas until you've created enough of the universe you're in to get a story.

I could tell you what I do, but it's lengthy and may not work for anyone but me.

dfbovey
05-12-2003, 04:16 PM
You'd get more feedback if you ask more specific questions. I had no idea what kind of advice you were looking for when I read your original post, and I'm still a bit foggy.

If you are asking, how do you begin a project, here is my process:

-I sit down on my couch with my drawing board and motivational music in the background with my proper drawing materials... script if I'm working on sequential art.

- first step is to do a few thumbnails of what ever it is that you'll be drawing. I usually do them in marker to keep them loose.

- take the thumbnail I like, and lay it out in blueline pencil on the final art board.

- begin final pencils using a 2h drafting pencils to block in and shade the black areas, after that I go in with an HB drafting pencil to define the lines and do the feather from the shaded areas.

- Clean up any stray pencils marks with a drafting eraser.

-Scan the pencils in and change them to non repro blue. Print them out on 11x17 bristol board to be inked over.

- Ink with brush and ink, as well as tech pens for ruler and template work.

- Scan in the inks and send them to a colorist. I don't do digital colors :)

That's my process.

Tony Moore
05-16-2003, 03:39 PM
well, it's pretty obvious you're not doing this professionally at the moment, so in that aspect, the pressure is OFF.

By "project," do you mean a single drawing? a set of drawings? some strips? a book?

really it doesn't matter. all it takes is to just sit down and do it. like Bovey said, put on your favorite CD and go at it. If you need to gather some reference materials or whatever, try to go on and have a good amount before you start, and you can get more as you go if you feel you need it. Then, do some small sketches to kinda plan how you're gonna handle it on the big paper, and then go for it. You'll learn along the way, so don't expect things to come out perfect the first time.

Really you've got everything you need to produce art. all that other stuff is just icing for the cake. So, focus on making a good cake, because all the icing in the world won't turn road apples into german chocolate.

-T

Tony Moore
05-16-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by versus
I mean damn all these good artist and only one reply, is the question to hard? But, thanks anyway vinnlander1313.

and don't expect a flood of replies in less than a day. especially in one of the non-art posting areas like this one, where traffic is generally less. It's part of that whole "patience" thing you said you need to work on.

-T