PDA

View Full Version : Digital inking video

Inkthinker
05-02-2003, 03:37 PM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/inking.wmv

It's about 7 megs, basically a movie showing the process that Gabe of Penny-Arcade (http://www.penny-arcade.com) uses to ink his strips in Photoshop. The framerate is awful, but it's still a somewhat enlightening insight into the artist's technique.

astrocity20
05-02-2003, 04:42 PM
Just saw this a second ago on my weekly run through their headlines.

Jeremy Colwell
05-02-2003, 05:12 PM
That's pretty cool. I'm getting into all digital production and it's nice to see how others are doing it. I have to say, though, he'd shave a lot of time off his process if he used some keyboard shortcuts for switching tools and brush sizes. Although, maybe he just did it that way for the tutorial so we could se what he was doing.

Thanks for posting the link, Ink.

Jeremy

Finnegan
05-02-2003, 07:32 PM
yeah i really enjoyed this. For some reason i thought he used illustrator... i guess because it's so clean. I noticed that he makes long sweeping arcs with really no mistakes... this has me thinking that he uses a much larger wacom than i... hehehehe

thanks got the heads up ink!

=BoB=

Inkthinker
05-02-2003, 08:16 PM
Well... not NO mistakes, a couple of times you'll see him draw the line, undo, darw the line, undo, three or four times until he gets it right.

But yeah, he does have some solid control, doesn't he?

astrocity20
05-03-2003, 04:15 AM
I knew I wasn't the only one noticing that. He more often than not got them in one fair swoop. Oh well. He's always talking about Tablet PCs so I figured he was using a tablet PC but I dunno if PS works with those so...

shaft
05-04-2003, 10:52 PM
Let me say I am brand new to this site, and am overwhelmed with all the knowledge here. Even more so is the generosity of the veterans to share it with the neophytes.

That said, I must confess that the digital age of graphic art is quite daunting for an old manual laborer like me. If I am going to catch up, this place is definitely going to be a primary resource!

So having seen the video, and understanding I know nothing, PLEASE answer the question....Is Photoshop compatible with a Tablet? (PLEASE SAY "YES")

If so, I'd like your recommendations on Tablet models.

Thanks.

Shaft

Pixelated_Pope
05-05-2003, 01:25 AM
I know he uses a Tablet PC for a fact. He started creating his comics completely on it a little while ago... maybe he stopped though, because that sketch looks like a scan (why else would he have to rotate it?). He used to use Alias Sketchpad (or whatever, it's that killer art program designed for Tablet PC's) to do the rough sketches. Maybe he's gone back to doing it the old fashioned way. *shrug*

I imagine that he is using is tablet PC to ink it, though. That is some serious control for being on a wacom or such. We could always write him and ask him, I suppose.

shaft
05-05-2003, 11:53 AM
Okay, assuming it is a Tablet, does anyone have any recommendations on brands and models?

Inkthinker
05-05-2003, 12:24 PM
I hear good things about Toshiba, I think...

Personally I want to wait until the technology has matured a few generations... I probably won't want to get a Tablet PC for another 3-5 years or so.

astrocity20
05-05-2003, 03:14 PM
Just get whatever you can afford. Wacom's are the most popular I think. I have no idea about the other brands though.

As for the TabletPC thing I think something or other burned out or broke on it and he sent it away for repair or something. I could be wrong. You'd have to read their archive, wish they had an easier way to get to it rather than just the comics navigation.