PDA

View Full Version : whats the best method to saving images for net without sacrificing quality

atom_basher
04-28-2003, 11:24 PM
i just saved a pic ture and people are saying the compreesion stinks, what method do u use to save your pictures

Tony Moore
04-29-2003, 05:09 AM
use less compression.
i seldom save anything at less than like 7 in quality in Photoshop.

if it's a full color pic, especially with a lot of reds, i go even higher.

-T

Inkthinker
04-29-2003, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I use a 72dpi jpegs, never wider than 650 pixels (usually I go with 400-500 pixels wide... width is more important than length, since you want to avoid the dreaded H-scroll) and seldom compressed more than the very border of 7 to 8.

It tends to keep greyscale files well under 100k... for color images I try pulling the image size down before I try increasing compression.

I've heard some good things about .png format, but haven't expirimented with it myself.

fusciart
05-04-2003, 04:02 PM
Make the image 72 dpi.

Go to your menu bar and go under "file".

In the file menu choose "save for web".

An options menu will appear and choose the 4 up tab.

This will show your image in 4 different file sizes.

You can choose from jpeg, gif, or png.

You can also choose how many colors you want.

Spidey
05-13-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by fusciart
Make the image 72 dpi.

Go to your menu bar and go under "file".

In the file menu choose "save for web".

An options menu will appear and choose the 4 up tab.

This will show your image in 4 different file sizes.

You can choose from jpeg, gif, or png.

You can also choose how many colors you want.
I usually just 2 up. However, this is a good way to balance the size/quality for yourself.

I gotta try that png format. I never seen anybody use it before.

Saturn Lad
05-13-2003, 12:56 AM
The PNG format is essentially an open-source replacement for GIF with all the extra bells and whistles that GIF is missing. Most notably, alpha channel transparency and gamma correction. Contrary to poular belief, GIF is not free. Every company that implements a "save as GIF" feature must pay a royalty. That said, JPG is not going anywhere. PNG is great for the same thing GIF is/was, namely graphics with solid areas of the same colors, not photographs and the like. While photographs will look much better in PNG than they did in GIF (GIF is limited to 256 colors, PNG is not), the file size can't compete with JPG and isn't meant to.

Spidey
05-13-2003, 01:07 AM
Pfft, .png isn't so great!
Behold:
http://images.deviantart.com/large/tutorials/ps/save_formats_at_100_percent.jpg
All the formats are set to save for the same file size. I dont think there is anything better than jpegs just yet. gifs are good for vector images though like illustrator stuff.

http://images.deviantart.com/large/tutorials/ps/Saving_images_at_200_percent.jpg
Zoomed to 200% to show quality. Notice all the save types are about the same file size yet other formats severely sacrifice the quality of your picture.

GIGAFATTYMON
05-13-2003, 11:52 PM
Try that on an image with red gradients and notice the difference, the quality no matter the format depends on the complexity of the image. Experiment with every image you produce then use what works best, thare is no right or wrong.