PDA

View Full Version : Thank God..... Corel Painter 8 rocks.

astrocity20
04-27-2003, 11:21 PM
Got it today. Corel did a pretty nice job with this one. Its the best of Painter 6 and 7 put in a nice package that isn't nearly as cluttered. The interface is a cross between PhotoPaint/PhotoShop mixed with the old Painter style, Giving it a remarkably simpler feel and look. Lots of Brushes, New styles and yes.... There is now realistic Watercolor(that like in Painter 7) and "Digital WaterColor" (that like in Painter 6[which I love]). Just from a minute or two initial look it gets a thumbs up. I'll look at it through the night and see if its time to uninstall both Painter 6 and 7 from my system for 8.

skatay
04-28-2003, 12:01 AM
ugh, another upgrade.

astrocity20
04-28-2003, 07:22 PM
yeah I hear you.... but their are OTHER ways ;dvl;

Ctrl+Z
04-28-2003, 07:34 PM
saweeeeet
gots to get!!

astrocity20
04-29-2003, 03:15 PM
It must be a good investment because I haven't opened up either Painter 6 or 7 since. I do have a peeve with 8 though. You know how when you pick a tool it keeps your most recent (like 5 or something) around so you can just switch back real quick... Well for one tools have been cut into specifics... Acrilics, Oils, Watercolor etc. now you have to go searching for each one at a time through a LONG list of features instead of them being 5 cached there for quick use. It's a bitch but you can work around it. Still a great upgrade I think.

Jeremy Colwell
04-29-2003, 04:08 PM
I just got a wacom and am in the process of learning 7, but already I think I want 8. The program in general gives beautiful results!

Robin Riggs
04-29-2003, 08:04 PM
There's a 30 day demo you can download from their website. It's about 94mb so it takes a while. :) The new version looks good from my first plays with it.

Dash Martin
04-29-2003, 08:18 PM
System requirments 200mHz and 128mb of RAM? YEAH RIGHT!

Finnegan
04-30-2003, 08:36 PM
i've got nothing but love for it

=BoB=

astrocity20
04-30-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by J. Colwell
I just got a wacom and am in the process of learning 7, but already I think I want 8. The program in general gives beautiful results!

Yeah I love Painter, I think PS is held back but maybe that's just me. People get AWESOME pictures out of PS (as seen on these boards) but I just find the tools in Painter easier to pick up and play with. I hated Painter 7 because I thought the watercolors were ****ed... which seemed to be a problem for people when it came out as it completely changed. 8 corrects that problem though giving the best of both which of course works for me. If you JUST picked up Painter 7 and want 8 PM me.

Twincruiser
05-01-2003, 08:44 AM
Here's a question....

Do any of you know if Painter 6/7 custom brushes can be used in Painter 8....

I would really like to know that.

-Michel of Twincruiser

astrocity20
05-01-2003, 03:32 PM
Good question. I'd like to know that too.

Finnegan
05-01-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by astrocity20
Good question. I'd like to know that too.

has anyone tried?

=BoB=

Finnegan
05-01-2003, 05:56 PM
ok... the short answer is.... YES, they do work.

i imported the very popular (and HUGE) painter 7 custom brush set Fine Art 2. It took about 4 minutes for the set to load once i selected it, but once it did that, there were no issues. Even after i went to another set and returned to it, it loaded almost instantly.

i'm thinking it basically cached the FA2 set to the painter 8 pre-built brush file, because when i imported the set, the file size of the prebuilt brush file skyrocketed.

So, for the time being, it may not be the wisest decision to use these unoptimized brushes at the risk of locking up the program, and sucking up ram.

painter 8 brush files have 2 new file types associated with it that i've never heard of (other than the xml and jpg)... .nib and . stk. I'm just assuming that these are propriety file types.

HOLY CRAP... i just checked the FineArt 2 directiry in the painter 8 folder, and it generated these .stks and .nib's for each brush (over 125)

i'm thinking that painter 8 may have just optimized them... WOW that's friggin slick

i messed around with the brush creator for about an hour last night. it's friggin bad-ass... i highly recomend getting familiar with it. Also, i start up the scratch pad on every major use... it's a cool feature from painter 7 (maybe before... i've only ever used classic and 7) that "teaches" painter the pressure sensativity that you're opperating at at that time... cool stuff.

that's located in edit>preferences>scratchpad

i'm also really enjoying the photo tool set... those are going to be fun to mess with.

anyone try the color mixer yet? i think it's actually pretty damn cool... not totally necessary, but it helps me work out my colors a little better sometimes.

just also so you know.. the hotkeys for auto brush sizing has changed from ctrl + alt to SHIFT + CTRL + ALT. not sure why they changed it, but it's not too hard of an adjustment to make

i'll post more when i get more time to mess with it.

it's kickin Painter 7's ass

=BoB=

astrocity20
05-01-2003, 07:32 PM
I'm gonna have to take a look at those brushes. I usually just play with the basics of the program never getting to deep into it. But this Painter I really like, and I think I'll be playing with it for a while :)

Edit: I think the scratchpad was in 6 also.

astrocity20
05-01-2003, 10:20 PM
hm Fin I need some help. I got those fine art brushes and threw the "Fine Arts 2" folder in with all the other brush directories. It shows up and all but the brushes aren't working for me. I try to select one but the brush never changes...Unless I select a brush, go to a different tool then go back to Fine Arts and the brush I selected is now usable. It's odd. I saw you wrote that it took a few minutes to load them but it doesn't seem to do that for me :\ ANy help would be appreciated, I keep hacking away at it in different variations.

Finnegan
05-02-2003, 12:09 AM
first off... how much ram do you have? i have 512 with a p3 500 and a geforce2 gts (not a real up to date system :()

second... when painter is closed... go to the painter 8\Brushes directory

see the pre-built brush file? well you can delete it. the file size may be HUGE.... when i carried the FA2 set over, that file alone jumped up to almost 200 megs.

this is a perfectly safe file to delete. Painter creates a new one if one is not found upon start up. It's common with digital illustrators that use a variety of brushes in painter to save their progress on a file, close painter, delete the pre-built brush file, reopen painter and the file they were working on... it saves your system resources from bogging down.

it's like a cache for your commonly used brushes... it stores info about the ones you frequently use for quicker access. so, the more brushes you use, the larger this file will get. there is no harm in cleaning this file out i assure you.

double check your E:\Program Files\painter 8\Brushes\ Fine Art 2 directory and see if there are .stk and .nibfiles there. Painter created those for me (which i still think is too good to be true). I noticed that the FA2 set increases the prebuilt brush file size quite a bit more than a stock Painter 8 brush does.

there's a long way to avoid this issue i think. You could literally reproduce the brush settings from painter 7 for the FA set (go with the ones used most often to save time) and recreate the brush in the Painter 8 brush creator... now this seems to be a really loooong workaround... but all i can really think of at this time. the hotkey for the brush creator is ctrl + B... or you can go... window > show brush creator

i'll most definately keep my ear out for the best new user created brushes... i'm sure these will be adapted soon... lots of people use them.

let me know what happens

=BoB=

martin_topsecret
05-02-2003, 08:39 AM
DO NOT play with your start>setting>control panel>wacom tablet settings while you are in Painter.

they will go weird. I did and much cursing ensued. I thought my tab was shot.

Or...

if you want to see some weird time based/rhythmic pressure sensitivity responses, mess with the above mentioned settings

astrocity20
05-03-2003, 05:05 PM
hm Fin I deleted the brush file thing and still nothing. Same problem. I guess I'll ahve to wait till someone comes out with them for 8. I'm to lazy to go through each brush and do it myself lol. Thanks for trying though.

Xirus
05-07-2003, 07:54 PM
Just got it too ^~ I love it, the new brush creator is so cool..
it's much easyer now to create a custom brush then it was in
previous versions. And it's a good thing they added the digital
water color, I missed that in painter 7.

AesthetisArtist
05-07-2003, 10:18 PM
how much does painter 8 cost?

Dash Martin
05-07-2003, 11:58 PM
Painter 8 $299 USD
Painter 8 Upgrade $149 USD

Inkthinker
05-08-2003, 03:11 AM
Damn... that's not a bad price as far as digital paint programs go...

Might be worth actually paying for that. Very useful program...

astrocity20
05-08-2003, 08:05 PM
You can get the upgrade version if you have like PhotoShop or something which is weird since it is a different company.

Tra_Vuzz
05-09-2003, 05:16 PM
what's even better is how you can use the mixer to blend your own colors on the digital palette that is included. I've always hoped that they would include this just because i always hated using swatches, or "sliding" to the color of my choice. It's been my belief that it's far better to mix your own colors, and now i finally i feel like i'm able to use Painter as i would any traditional media.

Shadow Stalker
05-20-2003, 06:27 PM
I just got my Wacom with Painter Classic, and I love it. Its awsome.

BTW: Is there anyway to download other custom brushes?

E.J.Su
05-20-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by astrocity20
You can get the upgrade version if you have like PhotoShop or something which is weird since it is a different company. It's called Competitive Upgrade. It's one of the tactic to get you to try the program for cheaper and get you switch over completely over time.

Gladiator
05-21-2003, 01:38 PM
Is it better than Photoshop 7/

E.J.Su
05-21-2003, 06:58 PM
Depends on what you use it for though. I like to think of them as complimentary to each other rather than competition.:p

astrocity20
05-21-2003, 08:22 PM
I've always favored Painter over PhotoShop except for the days of PS 5. But at the same time they are completely different.