PDA

View Full Version : tablet pc

mcmalbrough
04-21-2003, 01:40 PM
hey all,

i need some computer advice. I just moved and have decided to go from having a desktop pc to a laptop of some sort.

The only time i really spend in my studio are at nights when i need to be busy pencilling pages, so the time i have for digital work is when i can't get to my studio.. lunch at work, on the road etc. etc. etc.

BTW i'm totally pc oriented because that's what i have...(shrug)

Anyway, i've got a good deal lined up on a HP/tablet PC and I'm wondering if anyone out there has used them for any digital cartooning work. (lettering, coloring, drawing, etc.)

I'm not sure if i should go this route or go with a more standard laptop...

thoughts welcome...

M

Inkthinker
04-21-2003, 02:02 PM
I've been very interested in them myself, but I think I want to wait a few generations for the technology curve to work out all the kinks.

Gabe, artist over at the well-known web-comic Penny Arcade (http://www.penny-arcade.com) swears by his Tablet PC though, he's said some very good things about it.

GIGAFATTYMON
04-21-2003, 03:24 PM
If it will be of use to you over and above what a normal laptop would do then I say get one.

We had three bought for us at work but they turned out to be a bit of a gimmick and we reverted to using them in the laptop position, but then we don't use them for art.

Also I've found that digital artwork works best on a big screen 17inches and above, something I haven't seen in a tablet form yet, that's not to say they don't exist.

Dash Martin
04-21-2003, 03:59 PM
Don't get an HP...they make crap laptops. Get the Toshiba...they know how to make portable computers.

xadrian
04-21-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Methane
Don't get an HP...they make crap laptops. Get the Toshiba...they know how to make portable computers.

My wife works at Dell so I'll plug them, but honestly I know nothing about either.

Ztiev
04-23-2003, 08:13 PM
I'd wait for the tech to have a few more generations. I looked into them myself, and I just don't think they're worth it yet. IMO, for the price, they are WAY underpowered, and even the one's with the Wacom screen have some offset in where you touch the screen, and what it registers. I tried out the theoretical king of the hill, the Toshiba (still a hefty $2,300) and it was about 1/3 of an inch off. If portability is the issue, I think I'd still go with a laptop, and just plug a Wacom into it.

They compare thus:

Toshiba- 1.3 Ghz, 40gb HD, 256mb ram, 12" screen. $2,299 (Upgradeable to 512, for $200 more)

(Most TabletPCs have a 10.4" screen, running 1024x768 max)

Notebook- (Taken from EBCcomputers.com) 2.5 Ghz, 20gb HD, 256mb RAM, DVD, CD-RW, 15" screen, Radion 9000 64mb. $1,600 (Upgradeable to 1024mb RAM, 40gb HD, for $130 more.)

Note: Gabe has the Acer Travelmate. ($1,700 - $2,200)

Unless there were a REALLY good reason you needed a TabletPC, I'd either go notebook, or just wait.

If you do decide TabletPC, be sure to get one with a Wacom screen, and do your homework:

http://www.tabletpctalk.com

That is my $.02. *Wanders off in search of Mt. Dew.*

mcmalbrough
04-24-2003, 09:21 AM
Thanks everyone.

I agree. I think that the tech just isn't there to support the cost. (1/3 of an inch off!!!! SHEESH!!-thanks for the tip Ztiev)

I'm going laptop and wacom.

M