PDA

View Full Version : Best board

mcmalbrough
04-02-2003, 06:07 PM
Hey All,

I just wanted to get some opinions on the best board for pencils and/ or inks.

Personally i pencil more than i ink, but i want to accomodate future inking relationships.

I tend t o be very detail oriented, and i can't stand it when a board is too toothy and things get muddy, but i don't want to boar grooves in the pages either. Cost is an issue as wel. =O)

BUT.. we don't need to dwell on my personal page penciling problems , i want to hear what folks prefer for themselves also.

M

xadrian
04-02-2003, 06:19 PM
Well there's really only two board companies right now, and one is on production hold until this summer so you have the choice of Blue Line regular and Blue Line Strathmore. One's more waxy, one's more toothy. The waxy ones are the only ones I've dealt with and they don't hold ink, but they don't bleed it either. You have to be careful with your hands when you ink on it.

For pencils I'd rather draw on a dead fish. It doesn't erase well and it yellows out pretty bad after time. However it doesn't seem to smudge as bad as something with more texture, but I may be missing something. It does do better with softer leads.

The other is Eon, and I hear all the rage, but they haven't been taking orders since, oh, December of last year? They say they'll be up in time for the Chicago Con, but for the time I need, they won't be up in time to get boards and draw anything by then.

dpedicinijr
04-02-2003, 07:22 PM
Go Blue Line Strathmore. I ordered 300 sheets of 3 ply for a huge project I am working on and it works great. Ink holds well and even, pencils work great too. It is not like years ago. As for Eon, no product till August, and I asked for the same huge order and they never let me know what was going on with the delay. Kept telling me later, then another month. If they would have sent an e-mail or a mass e-mail I would not have been so displeased BUT you can't work on paper if it's not there.

nate lovett
04-02-2003, 07:56 PM
i too use the blue line strathmore 3 ply, and it's great! i haven't tried the eon stuff.

Inkthinker
04-02-2003, 10:11 PM
I use regular 14x17 Strathmore Plate-finish Bristol. I have a t-square and triangle and a ruler... I can make a 10x15 square on my own, thanks. The extra margins allow me to have space for notes or corrections if needed...

eonprez
04-12-2003, 05:47 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that even though Eon is currently on a productions hold we are still processing orders for Custom and bulk orders of 300 sheets or more. Call toll free 866-366-2673 for pricing. Or PM me here. If you e-mail me I might not get it right now....something's quirking is happening with my e-mail.

-Brett
EON

Saturn Lad
04-12-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Inkthinker
I use regular 14x17 Strathmore Plate-finish Bristol. I have a t-square and triangle and a ruler... I can make a 10x15 square on my own, thanks. The extra margins allow me to have space for notes or corrections if needed...
Ditto. :cool:

Aaron Hubrich
04-12-2003, 11:11 PM
Image, CrossGen, Dreamwave, The Joe Kubert School - to name a few, all use Blue Line Pro. You can too!!!

www.bluelinepro.com

Visit our booths at all the major comic cons this year and see for yourself why Blue Line continues to be the leader in supplies to the comic artist. Call Blue Line or visit the website...we'll be glad to fill your order right away. Blue Line accepts all major credit cards and also PayPal.

Blue Line Pro
(859) 282-0096 (Mon - Fri, est)
www.bluelinepro.com

dpedicinijr
04-13-2003, 11:24 AM
Brett, but why wasn't I notified then as to the order of 300 sheets I wanted would be delayed again due to your production hold.

dpedicinijr
04-15-2003, 11:44 PM
Hello,
I just wanted to note I have spoken with Brett from Eon Productions and he let me know about the situation I was questioning. Brett thank you for being very professional and courteous. I am glad to see another company with a good customer service philosophy.

SilentSpyder
05-06-2005, 08:27 PM
I've heard from a few pros that they cut their own paper. I forget extactly what type, but they don't use Blueline. On the other hand one of you guys said that they do use Blueline. So I guess it depends on the artist. The best thing would be to try out the diffrent stuff. I'm too lazy and cheap to cut my own stuff, so I also use BlueLine.

Miss V
05-07-2005, 01:16 AM

Same here, except I cut 11 x 14 paper down to 9 x 14. I've had bad experiences with Blue Line.

Juan2.0
05-30-2005, 10:40 PM
Out of stock on EON boards...again? :(

Justice41
05-31-2005, 12:14 AM
I bought 100 sheets of Bristol sheets from Strathmore years ago. I bought 5-ply Vellum finished 22"x29" sheets and I still have 50 or more left. I called Strathmore and asked for the Same exact boards Marvel Dc and Image used and they sold me that. I cut and rule my own. The paper is the best as it can be erased over and over and over without any harm and ink glides on. Even hard lead comes right up when erased. I bought a hunneret sheets from EONBoards and still have about 80 of em. I like em but can't ink on them unless I use a scum bag or erase the surface first.
You guys could also try this company for pre-lined Bristol. Can't vouch for them. but ....well there ya go.
http://bcemylar.com/ProBoardz.html

dfbovey
05-31-2005, 03:04 PM
I've been thinking about putting together a template in illustrator for preruled comicbook pages. That way I can just run off my own boards through my color printer when ever I need them.

I usually use 400 or 500 series Strathmore boards. Still have a bunch of Eon boards laying around as well.

Justice41
05-31-2005, 03:40 PM
Hey DF, long time no read. I did that about 10 years ago before any home printers could be purchased for less than 1 grand. It cost me $1.50 to get one print. I even used a reformatted Rams head from Dodge as my logo.
What I did was to cut out the rule lines from the Defiant paper I had at the time. Mocked it on a board and added the logo and other StudioAries related stuff. I still have it around here somewhere.
The biggest fear of most of the Bristol dealers is people like us not lazy enough to continue to buy their prefabbed stuff. People like us who will print on demand, our own boards.

eonprez
05-31-2005, 05:01 PM
Eon is still doing business and we have plenty of stock available of our Premium Smooth art boards. Look for a web site revamp real soon! Please be sure to check the original posting date before thinking EON is out of stock...or if you want to ask us directly about availability, just e-mail me at eonprez@yahoo.com or call toll free at 866-366-2673 (EON-BORD).

Thanks!

-Brett
EON

Justice41
05-31-2005, 05:18 PM
Brett it's time to hook up with a comics related website to hock your wares. Word of mouth and Spamming posts and forums just aint gonna cut it. Remember what I suggested about co-branding. Blueline does it (I think) I suggest making a deal with PJ and Ed at DW.
Your in a huge slobber-knocker with Blueline and other Board manu. Ya gotta hit em with the folding chair, or put the figure four on em. :D

Erick Cruz
06-09-2005, 04:21 AM
I have always used the Strathmore 300 series 14 x 17 pads but in the near future i plan on ordering the 30" x 40" 500 series sheets, you can get 5 11x17 boards per sheet or the 23" x 29" sheets, those give you 3 boards per sheet, and you can get them real cheap from dickblick.com

http://www.dickblick.com/zz133/09/

I made a template on corel draw of the Marvel full trim dimensions, i plan on going to a small local printshop to have them print the boards for me.
I'd print them myself but i dont have a printer to accommodate 11 x 17 paper, and not that im lazy that i could do it all by hand but getting them printed out would look real nice.

If you compare numbers from what you can get from buying your own paper or buying it from Blue Line heres something to think about:

For the top of the line B.L. 500 series Strathmore (Premiere Series) 3 ply (smooth and regular finish) you pay $67 for 12 pages, that means $5.58 per page.

If you buy 3 30" x 40" sheets (15 pages) of the same 3 ply 500 series Strathmore, that comes out to $27.57 (plate/smooth finish) or $1.83 per page.
Or if you get 3 sheets of the regular surface that comes out to $26.37 or $1.76 per page.

Im not badmouthing Blue Line, but you cant beat those prices.

amadarwin
06-09-2005, 11:00 AM
you're right, you can't beat those prices in comparison, but the extra $4 bucks your spending to have someone else cut the paper to the proper dimensions and outline all the trim and bleed areas is worth it to some people.

Erick Cruz
06-09-2005, 03:02 PM
Well, i was just hepling out, ultimately it is their choice how they choose to spend their money, just letting those that dont know there are other options.

amadarwin
06-09-2005, 03:16 PM
no biggie, I wasn't jumping on you or anything. I'm sure people are grateful for the info you provided. :D

Blackroot
06-15-2005, 12:08 AM
Image, CrossGen, Dreamwave, The Joe Kubert School - to name a few, all use Blue Line Pro. You can too!!!

www.bluelinepro.com

Visit our booths at all the major comic cons this year and see for yourself why Blue Line continues to be the leader in supplies to the comic artist. Call Blue Line or visit the website...we'll be glad to fill your order right away. Blue Line accepts all major credit cards and also PayPal.

Blue Line Pro
(859) 282-0096 (Mon - Fri, est)
www.bluelinepro.com

that was weird.