PDA

View Full Version : Drawing exercises/artist block

TOMMYBOY
04-02-2003, 01:31 PM
Here's my delemna. I work as a graphic designer doing package designs for a drug company (pays quite well). However since I work on computers all day I've kinda strayed from drawing to the point it is really frustrating me. I enjoy drawing and find it very rewarding. I've recently began drawing again but lately when I try to sketch or complete an illustration I just go blank, not only that, but I feel very stiff in my drawing technique. Anyone have any effective techniques/exercises to help loosen up my technique and maintaining focus. I'm looking for something besides the typical "just draw more" type of answer. Anything you've done that has helped break the artist block?

Phil Clark
04-02-2003, 02:16 PM
No BS here. I broke my 6 months long artists block by diving into and doing projects at the Critical Mass forum, and by doing arena battles. Seriously. Try it, it really does help.

SenorSwanky
04-02-2003, 09:26 PM
Yes, studies have shown that artists under constraints for an assignment tend to be more creative than when given free reign because they have to improvise and work to please a specific audience.

kov13
04-02-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by SenorSwanky
Yes, studies have shown that artists under constraints for an assignment tend to be more creative than when given free reign because they have to improvise and work to please a specific audience.
i totally agree a little motivation and deadline can help get your juices flowing, and also what phil clark said try the critical mass or the arena, that way your obligated to get something done.

wyc
04-04-2003, 05:50 PM
I would say that if even taken that step is a bit too large, then you might consider easing yourself back into the flow of things by just drawing some simple shapes: triangles, squares, cubes, whatever pops into your mind and gradually increase their complexity until your back to drawing full figures and then full scenes again. Well, it's helped me before.