PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up line art.

Mike
04-01-2003, 01:01 AM
Any tips on cleaning up line art? Specifically, what's the best way to get a pencilled jpeg file shaped up for coloring? I've tried my usual "curves and contrast" method for my own inked line art, but I can't get it right.

Fredzo
04-01-2003, 12:06 PM
If using 'Curves' or 'Contrast & Brightness' and/or 'Threshold' dont work (in photoshop), i dont know if anything will work very well... ive heard some guys blur the picture a bit, then run 'Threshold' the result is a B/W picture that looks like it was steamlined (edited in streamline). Or i guess you could just use streamline... are you trying to end up with a greyscale picture, or just pure B/W?? also i think it might be a good idea to post it; that might give everyone a better idea how to proceed.

-Fredzo

Chris Piers
04-01-2003, 12:33 PM
Can you explain that step by step for this retard? I usually scan my artwork in at a high res, then switch to greyscale, hit control-l and slide the black and white ranges until it looks pretty good. Is this stupid?

God Fire Convoy
04-01-2003, 03:59 PM
i always scan my art in greyscale and just mess with the levels in Photoshop

they usually always turn out pretty good
everybody thinks i ink my stuff but its all pencils babay!!

o.O

Tony Moore
04-01-2003, 05:23 PM
basically, Piers and GFC do what i do. high res is a must, i say.

Fredzo, that sounds interesting. i might hafta play around with that.

-T

Inkthinker
04-01-2003, 08:16 PM
Keep in mind, it needs to be at 300 dpi or higher for print... you can always lower the resolution, but it sucks ass when you need it to be higher and you can't get it.

I rarely color pencils, I usually ink it if it's going to be color... but even so, scan it at 300 dpi, in greyscale assuming you have no blue lines or anything (otherwise you'll have to scan in color and bleed out the colored lines with a Hue/Saturation adjustment), then you can darken the pencil lines with either Levels or Curves. Separate the lines onto a new Layer and you can color away!

I might add that unless your pencils are SUPER-clean and of a uniform darkness, then there's no way they'll really look like ink, so attemtping to darken them may or may not look effective.

Mike
04-02-2003, 01:04 AM
Well.. Thanks for all the tips. I'll keep that in mind when I'm scanning any of my own pencils, but this is some penciled art from the web that I'm grabbing from DARKSTORMGRAPHIX's website (with the intent of doing color work for eBay prints). I just can't figure out how to get the lines above the colors, I guess.

Inkthinker
04-02-2003, 03:08 AM
There is a sticky at the top of this Forum that tells you how to separate you line art onto a new Layer in Photoshop, so you can color on a separate Layer and perserve the lines.

Mike
04-02-2003, 09:13 AM
*smacks his forehead*

Thanks! ;onei;